Friday, February 1, 2013

I Have Toilet Phones

So, I have toilet phones.  We live in a house built in the 1870s, renovated and expanded in the 1890s, and installed with toilet phones c1985.

Our lovely house:


A less than lovely toilet phone:

(Yes, the toilet roll is out.  It's perpetually out.  Because I'm too inept to be able to figure out how to work the roll holder.
Phase II of Bathroom Overhaul: Easy to use toilet roll holder.)

I'm not sure why we have toilet phones--why someone sat down (presumably on the jon) one day and thought, "You know what our beautiful historic house needs?  Phones in the loo."

The strange thing is, we have exactly three phones on the property.  Two are in bathrooms.  The third is in the garage.  Did these people never make a phone call in a normal location?

Regardless. Despite the fact that I love the evolution of our house, how I can see when different historic styles of architecture and design had their moments in the house and stuck around, the toilet phone epoch is one I'm not terribly attached to.  I'm not terribly attached to much of anything about the bathroom decor, to be honest.  Case in point below.  But while the overhaul will need to wait, getting rid of the toilet phones doesn't need to.


So that's my home-renovation goal for the weekend--unscrew the toilet phones from the wall.

More adventures in This Bizarre Old House to come.

3 comments:

Connie Keller said...

Okay, I have never seen toilet phones before. Really bizarre.

Isis said...

I think you have reached the right decicion. As epochs go, the phoen in the toilet is definitely over-rated! ;)

I love the house, though!

Heather R said...

My parents had a toilet phone in one of the bathrooms - I think it was because they were planning on having a hot tub in there and didn't want to have to go to the phone if it rang. However it is strange that both your bathrooms and garage have them but none in any normal places.