Thursday, December 13, 2012

Little Mood Indigo

Just a little project I made for fun--a modern baby dress:


I haven't made as much in the way of baby clothes as I intended to--I've been a little busier than expected.  Imagine that.  But I had the itch and a drawer full of fabric, so I decided to give it a go.

The pattern was drafted from one of E's jumpers--I traced and tweaked.

The fabric was some blue silk charmeuse that I'd dyed and prepped to make a Roaring Twenties dress for a Bootlegger's Ball last winter.  By the time I was ready to make the dress I was pregnant and exhausted and not going to the party because of the two aforementioned.

Who makes baby clothes out of silk, anyway?  Yeah, seems like a poor idea from the washability standpoint, but it was what I had on hand that wasn't heavy wool or something equally unsuitable.

I lined the interior of the bodice with linen and added a band to the skirt of the same material to give the dress some oomph and support:



And added a silk organza pouf for funsies:


It's a touch small for my dress form, but still too big for E:


Maybe a New Year's Eve dress?  For someone who will be in bed well before midnight?

1 comment:

Connie Keller said...

It's gorgeous! And even if it can't be worn often, I bet it will make for a beautiful photograph of the little one wearing it.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas!