Monday, May 7, 2012

Moved! And a New Apron

First--Hi! I'm back! It looks like I missed some interesting stuff out there--catch me up on what you're up to!

So, in my world. Moving. That was fun.

So was finagling getting internet service moved. Fun.

You know what's also fun? Discovering that your apron is buried in a box in storage. Ooops.

But every cloud has a silver lining, sometimes one that involves scrap fabric and sewing challenges. This one? Whip up an apron from the scrap fabric I'd used to pack my sewing machine.

See, I brought only a few projects with me to our temporary digs, and the rest of my fabric and supplies went into storage. But I had just a little bit of fun cotton broadcloth leavings that I'd used to pad my sewing machine in its box for the move. And thus the Apron Challenge.




Felicity models how I intended for the apron to be worn:


Now she shows you how someone with a baby bump has to wear it:


Whoops, should have thought of that when I put this thing together--at least it's flexible! I kind of like it this way, to be honest--it reminds me of a Regency-era Empire-waisted bib-front gown.

As you can see, it's a very basic style, and I just kind of winged the design--no genius pattern drafting skills needed here. The curved top? Because the fabric already had part of a curve cut in and I kind of liked it. The box pleats? Because box pleats are pretty--so why not? The polka dot straps? I ran out of stripes...
Box pleats are pretty.  I'd add them to everything, but that might get a little goofy...

Lots of sewing coming up--including (finally) pics, research, discussion and general yappiness on the gestational stays, a cocktail dress to accomodate my ever-increasing bulk, and--perhaps--the start of the Regency gown I've been planning for over a year--wearing my new apron has inspired me to get back to it! Also--fingers crossed for a new Rather Old House as Relocation 2012 continues!

3 comments:

Clare said...

Glad you're getting settled in and everything's going OK! Very cute apron - good challenge!

Isis said...

Glad the move is over- I hope everything went smoothly! The apron turned out very cute. :)

What has happened? Well, I have pneumonia and have started a new blog on 18th century beauty:

http://madameisistoilette.blogspot.se/

The plan is to actually do as many original beauty recicpes and see how they work in reality. Plan to to a red lip paint soon.

personalised aprons said...

Love it! What a cute idea!