Monday, December 5, 2011

An Eighteenth Century Christmas

An eighteenth-century Christmas party isn't so different from a modern one.

Sometimes it's BYOB.


And there's always way too much food.



After dinner you might get down with your bad self to some of the latest music.



I don't know about you, but I always try to wear my best clothes to a happening party.



And my best hair.


At even the nicest parties, someone inevitably says something to cause someone else deep offense, and you end up having a duel in the front yard.



But in the end, no one ends up too horribly gored, and you make some new friends.



Need I say that I had a thoroughly enchanting weekend?




(Thanks, friends of ye olde Facebook from whom I swiped photos!)

8 comments:

Butterfly said...

Just out of curiosity: What do you eat for Christmas?

Connie Keller said...

Lovely! Did you have Smoking Bishop again?

Isis said...

Looks lovely!

Rowenna said...

Hi Butterfly--this year our hosts provided roast pork, garlicky mashed potatoes, and apples and onions (common and delicious 18th century combo that must make a comeback!). Plus a giant trifle for desert.

Connie--we didn't, sadly! But there were plenty of other libations, including homebrewed cider!

Isis--it was a lovely time!

Angela said...

Rowenna, this looks like it was a lot of fun. Was this at a friends house? I love your red dress, so festive! What is a smoking bishop? I must look that up! There is nothing like homebrew...so much better. :)Cheers.

Rowenna said...

Angela--this was at a friend's house--a beautifully restored 1820s place :) Smoking Bishop is a wine punch--delicious stuff! Thanks!

Sarah said...

This looked like it was so much fun. I love your dress

The Dreamstress said...

How fun! Now I feel sad that my Christmas didn't involve any costumes :-(

I'll just live vicariously through yours!