Monday, November 28, 2011

Short Cloak

I finished this short cloak all the way back in October, but failed to take pictures until about a week ago. With two events between finishing the cloak and the end of the season, I assumed I'd get pictures in action at a reenactment--well, go ahead and cue the laughter, since I never manage to get the camera out at events!

So Felicity agreed to model for me, instead:

The pattern is from Costume Close-Up--there's a full-length cloak in the book that I drafted a pattern from. Of course, it was cropped, but the basic shape and construction are the same.

I chose to do a short cloak, by the way, rather than a full-length one for practicality's sake. First, much of our event season is chilly but not cold--April through October means that though there are a few 40 and 30 degree days, it's mostly not frigid. Even more important, I can wear the short cloak and work in camp unencumbered. The full length cloak is pretty much good for sitting and shivering, not for hauling wood or stoking the fire.

The view from the back:


A slightly off-kilter but representative example of the classic "fan" pleats on the cloak hood. Thicker fabrics show this style off even better than the soft drape of this lighter weight wool.


The full layout. You can see that the center is cut from one piece and the two side panels are pieced. Plus I love how this looks laid out:

Detail of the pieced sides:

I did a mixture of hand and machine sewing on this project--mostly hand, but the side seams were machine stitched and then stitched down by hand. The hood construction was all by hand, as was...

The finish work. I finished the edges with matching blue silk ribbon. My dream of trimming with fur will have to wait until I find a vintage piece bedraggled enough to re-purpose, or perhaps be saved for another project--I like how pretty this simple trim is.


And my favorite detail! The seam that joins the hood to the cloak body is covered in the same silk ribbon.

Overall, a very simple project to take from drafting the pattern through completion--the hardest part was finding ribbon I liked! And it's incredible how warm even a thin cloak is, especially with the hood up. Despite temperatures in the 30s a couple times this fall, the cloak and a nice fire kept me toasty!

4 comments:

MrsC said...

Scrivens, I reads this in bewilderment that you'd want to wear a wool cloak in 30's or 40's temperatures...then clicked, aha, Farenheit, makes a lot more sense then! hehehe. It's lovely and such a pretty shade too!

Angela said...

This came out beautifully! I love the blue. I love that book, Costumes close-up. One of these days I would like to do accessories by hand without machine work...la, not anytime soon, though. Can't wait to see the fur on it!

The Dreamstress said...

Oooh...love the fabric! I've been looking at that cloak pattern myself, and keeping an eye out for the right fabric to make it in. I hope mine turns out as nicely as yours!

Rowenna said...

LOL MrsC! Yes, Farenheit :)

Angela--Thanks! I like hand sewing mostly because I can watch movies or whatnot at the same time :)

Dreamstress--I fell in love with the fabric first, then decided to make a cloak! I got it from 96 District Storehouse--they don't have much online presence, but they do have gorgeous woolens.