Tuesday, November 22, 2011

1940s Halter Cocktail Dress--Fabric and Pattern

As if working on another pair of stays wasn't enough, I decided I want a new dress. Before Christmas. Because I'm capricious like that.

I've had this Butterick pattern (Butterick 5209) for some time, and decided I wanted to pull it out and make something kicky for my annual Christmas cocktail party.

I'm going to make View A, the halter dress; I plan at some point to make the more work-appropriate rendition, View B, if View A goes well.

And fabric. This particular choice may look familiar--it's the same as the Peacock 1930s gown. I love the color, and wanted to use charmeuse for this dress, and figured what the heck--I can't wear an evening gown that often, and this fabric is too pretty to relegate to the closet.

Fortunately, I was still able to get a few more yards from the ebay store I frequent (haunt) for silk charmeuse.
It's called Dark Slate Grey--I don't see anything slate or grey about it, but I love it just the same.

So, funny Sophie Biscuit the Kitten story--last night I was cutting the dress out, watching Mad Men, sipping some peppermint tea. The Biscuit decided that attacking the fabric was pretty much the best thing ever. Which, with onion-skin paper and delicate charmeuse and tiny kitten claws involved, was not the best thing ever from my perspective. So I shut her up in the kitchen to cut in peace. A few minutes later I heard a pitiful mewling...and discovered that Sophie had tried so hard to get back into the living room that she'd gotten her head caught under the door!

I fended off kitten attacks the rest of the evening.

What pre-holiday projects do you have in the hopper?

12 comments:

Butterfly said...

I completely understand Sophie! I'd want to attack that lovely fabric too. Thanks for sharing your source.

MrsC said...

Yum. Totally understand wanting to separate kitten from that, and also wanting to drown kitten, momentarily. Which I know you didn't say, but it's what I would be thinking! ;-)

Prasetyo said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* Rio Prasetyo *

The Dreamstress said...

Pretty! And clearly Sophie belongs to the group of cats who prefer silk ;-)

Interesting that you are doing a halter dress - Steph of 3hourspast and I have just been brainstorming about them. I can't wait to see yours!

Carrie C said...

Charming! I'm excited about seeing what you do for view B too - hopefully with a darling pattern? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but they're both so pretty it's hard to resist! Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving Rowena. I'm thankful for having "met" you!

Connie Keller said...

The silk is so gorgeous!! I can't wait to see the dress.

I'm working on pillowcases--I'm embroidering them for my Grandmother's 93rd birthday on December 9.

Rowenna said...

Butterfly--very true! I found myself petting the fabric as often as the kitten...

MrsC--ha! Almost got to that point :)

Dreamstress--I'm looking forward to posting progress on this one--there are some things I plan to change on the pattern (like the gathered skirt--ick).

Carrie--yes! I plan to find a moderately kooky, colorful print :)

Connie--oooh, embroidered pillowcases sound lovely!

MrsC said...

Oh, and who is the good charmeuse trader on ebay please?

Rowenna said...

MrsC--it's (not kidding) Happy Good Buy. If you search for it in Ebay they'll come up.

Md apel islam said...

It is truly a great and helpful piece of information and nice collection.
I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

sexy dresses

sajib ahmed said...

It is truly a great and helpful piece of information and nice collection.
I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
sexy dress

Lady D said...

Oooh, I have this pattern to sew. I like the look of the silky materials but just know I'll sweat too much wearing it. So I'm making mine from cotton.