Monday, October 17, 2011

Sapphire Gown

The Sapphire Gown stepped out for the first time on Friday, and the setting couldn't have been more perfect. Location? Early 20th century resort hotel. Event? Ball celebrating the 236th birthday of the United States Navy. With cake.


I think the ceiling might be my favorite architectural feature in hotel lobby--crick in the neck from staring up all night!


I need to learn to take pictures before dancing for a couple hours and wearing off most of my makeup. The requisite front shot; love how the front drape and the vintage brooch turned out:


And the back, with the mini-bustle and pleated chiffon on the side. Plus the hair I did myself. Me+tail comb+metric ton aerosol hairspray=slightly scary bathroom but hair that will.not.move:

Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out! Lessons learned:

1) Dress form = amazingness. So many things went so much better using Felicity, my felicitous dress form. Fitting, setting the zipper, and, most of all, the chiffon draping and mini-bustle arranging.

2) Creating a boned foundation piece for the interior of the gown is priceless. It took some extra time, but the results speak for themselves. The gown held up--literally. And the fit could not have been better having the extra support.

3) You can take inspiration from any time period you want and create a modern gown. Really, really.

Evening highlight? The keynote speaker, an admiral-y type, asked my husband what kind of music he wanted to request (the usual small-talk-y kind of thing). He answered, of course, swing--and whether the admiral made it happen or someone else requested, we got to dance to a mini-swing-set! All in all, a lovely evening!

9 comments:

Brooke Johnson said...

beautiful dress Rowenna! i'm jealous of your sewing skillz.

Connie Keller said...

You look gorgeous in the gown! I hope your husband bragged. :)

Carrie C said...

Lovely! The mini-bustle is particularly awesome.

Butterfly said...

You look so pretty in that dress! The idea of anyone dancing swing in such a long dress made me smile though.

Isis said...

You look lovely!

Anachronist said...

Lovely and gorgeous - thanks for the pics!

Rowenna said...

Thanks all! Butterfly--it's not as crazy as it sounds (my wedding dress was even "bigger" and I managed "SingSingSing" in it) but I will say that we drew the line at attempting a fast lindy!

dolleygurl said...

The dress is gorgeous. I thought I would tell you that reading all about your sewing exploits has encouraged me to work on my own project. It's a huge undertaking for me since I don't really sew and have no idea how to use my sewing machine so I'm hand stitching right now. But I had this old prom type dress that I loved but had ripped - so I'm turning it into a pillow slip cover using the dress material, lace from the bottom of the skirt and the ribbon from the bow. It will take me forever but the progress I made last weekend was encouraging.

The Dreamstress said...

You look gorgeous! What a great dress! And it sounds like you had a fantastic time!