Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Brief Lesson in Helping Others--Really Brief.

I was having a crappy day. Crappy couple days, actually. Work's been a bit of a drag, just kind of having a rough time of it with some projects not going well.

Then a colleague randomly dropped by my office to ask how some building renovations were going, and then--out of the blue--said some very nice, very honest, very complimentary things about my work.

It took two minutes.

It made me blush.

My day got a lot better.

When's the last time you thought about telling someone they were doing a great job, or always make you smile, or even just look really nice today? When's the last time you actually sent the email or dropped by or said the nice things that were on your mind?

I was reminded today that we never really know the impact our kindness can have on others--I'm making it a point that, when I think someone needs to be recognized for whatever great thing (even if it's little) they're doing in this often crazy and difficult and sludgy world, I'll tell them. Not just think about how great they are. Sometimes helping someone out is as easy as saying what's on your mind.

Random PSA over. Sorry for pontificating. Back to your regularly scheduled awesomeness.

5 comments:

Connie Keller said...

It seems to me that encouragement is one fruit that our society sadly lacks. For all of our obsession with success, we missed the one secret quality that helps people persevere--encouragement.

I'm really glad someone took the time to encourage you today!

Carrie C said...

Aw, that's sweet. I'll take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy reading your blog - you write nicely and have such interesting hobbies - and I'm glad I found it!

Jillian said...

I love pontificating! And you're right about being nice. For you: I love your blog. Also, I think it's incredibly cool that you understand French, do Colonial re-enactments, and know so much history. :-D

anachronist said...

I always try to say nice things if I like somebody's writing and/or blog. In your case, dear Rowenna, I actually like both of them. Your voice is very honest and clear, you are one intelligent lady with a very interesting personality and it shows despite the fact that most probably I will never see you face to face in my life, your blog - a joy to look at. Have more nice moments in the future!

* a hug*

Rowenna said...

Awww...thank you all! Now go forth and spread encouragement! :D