Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summertime Diversions--on the Lake in 1780

This print made me smile. Maybe it's the idyllic summer scene. Maybe it's that the gentleman seems to have inadvertently begun using his sword as a rudder. Maybe it's the hilariously beefy arms of Miss Peggy Pullaway.



Actually, I think it's the ladies fishing in the background. Which raises to mind...are the ladies fishing an extension of the gender reversal seen in the boat? Or is fishing an acceptable leisure activity for 18th century ladies? I've my opinions--what are yours?

Regardless, I love the hat of the woman appraising her catch.

Print from the Lewis Walpole Library.

6 comments:

Brooke Johnson said...

She does have some seriously beefy arms.

anachronist said...

I am not sure fishing was an acceptable form of hobby for a lady. I suppose it is an extention of gender reversal - intended to be funny. Peggy is one muscled lady though. I wonder whether the gentleman in the boat also wants to catch some fish with his sword...

Connie said...

Maybe the man is using his sword as a rudder to steer the boat to somewhere secluded.

Jill said...

Ladies fishing? Yeah, I don't know. English ladies have a history of being pretty sporting, though. I'll have to ask some of my 18th C geek friends. Great picture!

Rowenna said...

Seriously, Brooke, the arms are hilarious!

Anachronist--LOL! Maybe...

Connie--Could be...that island with the willows looks welcoming!

Jill--so true, English ladies do like their sport!

The Dreamstress said...

I have no idea if it was acceptable for ladies to fish, but now I'm thinking that I really must do a photoshoot in 18th century attire while fishing!