Sunday, May 22, 2011

Surprise! Scarlett O'Hara Stays


I had full intentions of whipping out a dress this weekend. Then...I got distracted.


By the thought of making a new pair of stays. I've had Norah Waugh's Corsets and Crinolines sitting around for probably longer than is healthy for my project load and have been in love with the 1780s half-boned stays. They're exactly what I wanted--nicely splayed tabs on the bottom, the broad chest and straight-backed shoulder straps.


And what started as goofing around with some pattern pieces and a scrap of canvas turned into a full-blown project. The bulk of the work is yet to come--boning and binding--but I'm thus far very happy with the general shape and the fit.




Rather serendipitously for a spur-of-the-moment project, I just happened to have a couple yards of canvas lying around (purchased for tent repair...oops, sorry tents). And the fabric for the outside of the stays?


Well, that's where Scarlett O'Hara comes in. Those with a keen ear for anachronism were probably wondering what I was doing calling these 1780s stays "Scarlett O'Hara stays." But remember the bit when Scarlett needs a new dress, and the only fabric that can be found is the window hangings? Or, you know, Carol Burnett modeling the concept in a much more literal form?

And remember these curtains I made for the great room?



Well, I didn't canibalize the curtains--I had a very skinny couple of yards of sik leftover. Still. Curtains, clothes...Scarlett O'Hara stays.



Go, tiny blue sewing machine, go!

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Ha - I did notice the anachronism. :-)

Scarlett O'Hara. Really, anything having to do with her, gets a thumbs up from me. :-)

Kat Zhang said...

Haha, how cool! I'm glad you didn't have to use your curtains, though ;)

Connie said...

I love the Carol Burnett skit. Time to put that on my Netflix list.

Good luck with the stays!

Carrie C said...

And your timing is fortuitous because this month Margaret Mitchell's book celebrates its 75th anniversary!! The stays look lovely, good luck :)