Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Late Eighteenth-Century Hat of Win

I'm not sure where my mother came across this hat. I'm not sure how it came into my clutches. I'm not sure she quite realizes she's never getting it back. But after much experimentation and ribbon-clipping, pin-stabbing, reshaping, and trial and error, I've figured out how to wear it fashionably--without it flying off my head. Please excuse the ratty t-shirt look. And excuse the poor photography. I nipped these right before Christmas and haven't had a chance to play dress-up with the hat since. Mother had given up trying to wear this lovely without attaching ribbons to tie it on. Which, to be honest, gave her tunnel-head more than Hat of Win. I played with pinning it to upswept hair and, low and behold, a sturdy pair of pins and a pile of hair for an anchor combine to offer rakishly tilted, still feminine hat-ness. This is going to look fab with the block print caraco! Can't wait to wear it out to our first event in a few weeks.

6 comments:

Connie said...

The hat is stunning. I can't wait to see pictures of the whole outfit.

Audra said...

COVET! Ditto on wanting to see the whole effect!

Carrie C said...

Sooo cute! Lucky you!

Rowenna said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm looking forward to playing dress-up in the coming weeks :)

Isis said...

Great hat! Very nice shape!

The Dreamstress said...

LOVE it! Lucky you! This reminds me that I really must trim my bergere....