Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Funnies, Historical-Style

One of my history nerd friends forwarded this joke. I found it quite amusing. Of course, it probably isn't anything close to authentic to the period, but it has that tongue-in-cheek spirit we appreciate so much from the 1700s.

An vagabond, exhausted and famished, came to a roadside inn with a sign reading: "George and the Dragon."

He knocked.

The Innkeeper's wife stuck her head out a window.

"Could ye spare some victuals?"

The woman glanced at his shabby, dirty clothes."No!" she shouted.

"Could I have a pint of ale?"

"No!" she shouted.

"Could I at least use your privvy?"

"No!" she shouted again.

The vagabond said, "Might I please...?"

"What now?" the woman screeched, not allowing him to finish.

"D'ye suppose," he asked, "that I might have a word with George?"

Happy Friday!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, that's totally fitting for any time period! Love it, thanks.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I love it!!

anachronist said...

Very funny! What a pity he didn't ask to see and speak with a dragon...

Connie said...

LOL.

mesmered said...

Ha!!!

A.M. Kuska said...

I'm guessing I'm the only one who doesn't get it. :-/

Rowenna said...

Hi A.M.--it implies that he's been speaking with the Dragon up to that point :)