Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Brief Writing Update and Lilacs

I am writing like a madwoman on the Super-Secret Departure Project, which is speeding along at a nearly alarming rate. Once I have a rough draft done, and feel like I can breath when thinking about it, I'll be sure to share more about it! Here's crazy fact #1 about it, and the reason it's such a huge departure--it isn't historical (!gasp!). It has some odd roots and branches that scrape at historical, but it's not historical fiction--and though I feel a bit like I'm cheating on the genre I started writing, I am having such fun! Also--I am amused by the fact that the story starts in winter and progresses through spring--and so did the writing of it! I'm on the spring-y parts now, just as the leaves are unfurling on the trees and the lilacs are starting to bud.

(Lilacs! Can I wax poetic for a moment about how the New Very Old House keeps offering us delighful surprises? First there were daffodils poking their little heads out from the snow. Then, I discovered that two of the trees lining the brick walkway to the back door are redbuds. After that, I noticed that the giant bush next to the kitchen window is a lilac--and I mean ginormous. It's the size of an elephant, honestly. Finally, peonies are sprouting up from between the remnants of the daffodils. It's going to be a very floral spring at the New Very Old House.)

A strange development--I have never before been one to listen to music while writing, but this project is demanding it. So, I have discovered the wonders of Pandora. I am so in love with my Thomas Tallis station, I can't even describe it. My Vivaldi station is pretty fab too, as is the Irish traditional station (with heavy doses of Chulrua and Stan Rogers--if you like Irish music, go listen to Chulrua like right now). How did I make it this long without becoming a Pandora addict?

Finally, I want to offer a sincere apology for not keeping up with all of your delightful blogs as frequently as I have in the past. It's a crazy-busy time of year, and I hope to be back to reading much, much more soon. Accept my abject and humble apologies.

What's shaking with you all? Any brilliant new discoveries of the interwebs or your backyards?

3 comments:

Connie said...

Glad to hear how well the novel is going!! I can't wait to hear more.

anachronist said...

Sorry, I can't answer your final questions - I am busy listening to Chulrua...

Caroline said...

I love that feeling when you buy a house and then discover what others have planted before you! I think this is one of the perks of buying an old house. When we bought our house two years ago, we discovered a carpet (literally) of daffodils in the side yard when spring came around. I hope our tenants are enjoying them as much as I did!

Have fun with Pandora...it's one of my favorite things. :-)