Friday, March 18, 2011

I Have a Secret

I have a secret new project. I feel like kind of a jerk telling you about it--because all I'm saying is that I'm writing. I'm keeping mum on the concept, the plot, the characters, everything, except to say it's a huge departure from what I've worked on in the past.

And that I'm actually giddy about it.

I made my intentions to work on this project official to myself, and abandon the tentative steps on a WWII era homefront-set novel I'd been scratching at, less than a month ago. I'm now a quarter of the way through the first draft. This has never been my modus operandi--I'm nearly always a sloooow writer. Like a slow loris:

Except with writing instead of arboreal movement.

Not this. I'm zipping. I'm salivating to put my fingers to keyboard (well, not literally--all that drooling might short circuit my laptop). I'm pounding out 1000 words a day without blinking. I can't wait to keep this story moving.

I just wanted to tell you that I'm excited. And that I'll post more when I've finished a draft and developped some confidence that I really can tell this story, even though it's different in nearly every way from everything I've ever tried before. And to excuse myself for not posting more about writing specifics recently and in the near future.

And, of course, to share that adorable slow loris picture. I love me some strepsirrhini primates. (Umm, minored in anthropology with a concentration in bioanthro. I really like primates, ok? Insert requisite PSA that primates don't make good pets despite their adorability here. But I don't need to tell you all that.)

9 comments:

anachronist said...

Lorises are lovely and some of them - even perspicatious! Good luck with your project!

Gentlewomanthief said...

Ooh, sounds very ingriguing! Good luck with it - definitely sounds like the right choice of tale to tell if it's got you this excited. (In fact, that kinda relates to a blog post I've been thinking about writing for a while - I should get on that!)

Connie said...

Wow! I'm very excited for you! Keep at this--write while the passion is hot.

dolleygurl said...

Congrats! Keep banging those keys!

Carrie C said...

Yay! Fun writing is always good news - I'm excited for you!

Brownpaperbaggirl said...

Secret? What secret? I know nothing ;)

Good luck, lovely! I can feel your giddiness from way over here!

Jenny said...

Secret projects are awesome! I too am keeping mum about my current WIP--and I'm having the same experience: gotta get to the computer, gotta get to the computer! Keep at it. =)

Rowenna said...

Thanks all for your encouragement! Can't wait to hole up tonight and write some more!

Haley said...

So I'm looking at your discarded project? I can't wait to learn what your secret project is.

By the way, I have now subscribed to your blog and added you to my blogroll. I would have done it sooner but for some reason I had experienced difficulties in the past.