Thursday, March 10, 2011

Head Cold and a Hot Toddy

Sorry for the absenteeism this week--I've been struck by some sort of nasty, gland-swelling, fever-inducing, congested evil incarnate of a virus and have been spending my free time lying on the couch whining about it. (Exaggeration. I've been lying on the couch watching Scrubs and old movies on Netflix. No one can whine while Scrubs is on.)

You know what makes me feel better when I'm sick? Aside from sleeping a lot? Hot toddies, medicinal style.

Super-basic--simply:

1) Pour a splash of your whiskey of choice in a mug (preferably one of those glass ones, because the color is like sunshine--healing in and of itself). Less than a shot glass' worth is more than enough. I use Scotch.

2) Brew preferred herbal comforting tea of choice. Mine is Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime. Not sure if I actually like it that much or if that darn cute-as-heck bear on the package wins me over every time. Look at him in his little sleeping cap, dozing off in front of the roaring fire with his kitty friend on the rug behind him! *Melting with cuteness*

3) Pour the tea over the whiskey.

4) Stir in a spoonful of honey, if desired.

5) Inhale the warm vapors, sip luxuriously, and cocoon self in blanket.

9 comments:

Connie said...

This sounds wonderful. The next time I'm sick, this is what I'm doing.

Kat Zhang said...

Oh, no! Feel better soon, Rowenna!

Sonia M said...

Shoot! I've been sick all week and I had no idea about toddies. Darnit all!

anachronist said...

Feel better very soon Rowenna - the toddies will stay with me forever, thank you very much! I don't have the Celestial Seasoning at hand but I suppose a nice white tea with cranberry can do as well.

Rowenna said...

Connie--it's almost worth getting sick for...

Kat--thanks! feeling a bit better already.

Sonia--hope you feel better soon!

Anachronist--white tea with cranberry sounds lovely...maybe with bourbon...hmmmm....

Sonia M said...

Rowenna: Thank you! Am feeling much better today. My son is getting sick, but I think he's a mite young for toddies. Shame, really. I guess it'll just have to be tea.

wconway1 said...

I'll tell you one thing, you were dead on with the Scrubs comment! Potentially the greatest show of all time.

Rowenna said...

Sonia--lol, probably...we don't want to go the "mother's little helper" route on that one!

Will--I felt waaay better after a few episodes of Scrubs :)

Sonia M said...

Rowenna: Knowing my son, he'd probably like it and beg for more. He tries to talk me into giving him benadryl (he's had to take it a couple of times for an allergic reaction)...he likes the way it tastes.