Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Looking Ahead...

Thanks ever so much for your feedback on the poll thus far! I've decided to reactivate it for kicks, just to let anyone who wanted a say get their opinion on. It's funny, though, that the two things I intend to focus on in the coming year--massive amounts of sewing and a heavy dose of writing--are things you kind folks want to read about! Sympatico, readers--that's what we are!

So, as the new year approaches, a hopeful list of what I want to do:

Sewing:

1) I neeeeeed new stays. Real bad. For one, though my old ones still fit they are getting awfully wrecked up. For two, I would really like a pair of tabbed stays with straps. For three--and this one's the challenge--I want to make them gestational and nursing adapted. No--I am not expecting! But I want these to last for a good ten years, and I do figure that a stork will pop by at some point in the next decade.

2) 1940s dresses--I have patterns. I need fabric. I can't wait to whip these up and wear them dancing!

3) The short cloak/mantlet. I bought gorgeous dark blue wool this fall, and have yet to decide if it will be a short cloak or a shaped mantelet. I do know that I want to line it in something soft and lovely for extra warmth (perhaps a silk/cotton blend, though that wouldn't be quite 100% authentic from what I can find). And I would love to add fur accents!

4) Regency clothes. I'm getting more into other time periods--and I have plenty of opportunities to wear Regency clothes if I make them. I'll be starting from scratch here--I'll need chemise, stays, petticoats, gowns, robe...it's a lot to bite off. But in the experimental phases, I'd also like to create some long tunic-style tops inspired by Empire-waisted gowns. For fun.

5) A chemise a la reine. It looks fun. The fabric is easily procured. I think it would be a blast to wear. And I already have the perfect hat. Pictures to come of Perfect Hat...

6) A new jacket for Mother. This one is priority as I promised it as a birthday gift...and Mother's birthday is a month away. Plus, aforementioned Perfect Hat? I stole it from my mother...so I owe her!

7) Set up the teensy room in the second floor of the new very old house as a sewing room. I claim it. It's mine. I put a flag in there and everything.

Writing

1) Revamp December, revamp query letter, hone the whole thing one more time and get back to querying. I fell off the wagon on the road to publication this fall to take a detour on Academia Avenue, and I plan to get truckin' again.

2) Keep working on Ye Nexte Projecte. I'm calling it, tentatively, The Miniature. I have piles of books to read as research. I'm quietly excited about this one.

3) Build more relationships with critique partners. I love my CPs, and am so grateful to them--I hope to expand and deepen those ties this year!

4) Get better about keeping an idea journal/brainstorming book. I have a gazillion ideas. I just need to get them down on paper so I don't lose them!

Other Stuff

1) Keep dancing! Husband and I plan to take Charleston and Lindy Hop lessons this spring. Yay!

2) Decorate. I can't wait to get my mitts on the new very old house--we get the key tomorrow. And then, watch out--I'm going on a furniture arranging, drape sewing, picture hanging, decorating bonanza. That's right.

What do you hope to do in the new year? Any projects or plans that you're particularly excited about?

7 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

That is one heck of a list! My biggies are blab to everyone about The Arrival (interested in reviewing? I can send a pdf?) and then writing the sequel. Sewing projects, I owe mum and nana a 'bucket' bag each.. just have to find some handles (surprisingly tricky in NZ..)

The Arrival, book one of the BirthRight Trilogy, available on Amazon 1.1.2011
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Kat Zhang said...

Sounds like a lovely list! More writing and sewing news is always a good thing :D

PS did you ever get my email about the contest and the lists of books?

Hema P. said...

Ah, lovely list of resolutions, Rowenna! I can't wait to read about and see pictures of the progress you make in each of the spheres you mention!

Happy New Year and congratulations on the new house!

I hope to finish revising my current MG novel and embark on the new YA idea that's threatening to take over my life. :)

Rowenna said...

Nicole--I'd love to read and review--drop me a line at hyalineblue079 at yahoo dot com. Good luck with the New Year's venture!!

Kat--thanks, always, for reading!

Hema--Thanks! Good luck with the next projects on your docket!

Caroline said...

That's a very ambitious list! You must post photos of your "new old house." I have to my daily dose of old house real estate candy!

Ax said...

New Year sounds so exciting! Looking forward to updates!

Rowenna said...

Caroline--thanks! I hope to post photos as we get rooms unpacked, arranged, and decorated to our liking--plus nifty historic details

Ax--thanks! Hope your New Year is shaping up well :)