Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas in the Country

A friend of mine sent me this image, a print from 1791, in an e-Christmas card. Thought I would share with my history geeks here! Cool stuff to notice:

1) Those crazy-big caps on the ladies. Add some ribbons and they're like the Christmas sweater of the eighteenth century.

2) See the very large hunk of greenery in the back right, and couple kissing under it? Yep, mistletoe!

3) At the center of the image, the punch bowl!

This is Christmas Party weekend here at my house--I'm taking a quick break from making brie en croute, spinach pinwheels, and cranberry punch to post. I kinda wish I was wearing a giant cap and fathoming the punch bowl instead--somehow it seems a bit more festive!

Remember--enter to win free books!! There may even be a surprise for the entrants...

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Love it! :-)

Merry Christmas!

Connie said...

Have a fun party. BTW, I was watching A Christmas Carol last night (the one with Patrick Stewart) and they had a smoking punch bowl--and I said, "Hey, I bet that's 'smoking bishop punch.'" Then, guess what, the punch was announced as "smoking bishop." Now I can't wait to make it!

Thanks for the history lesson!

The Dreamstress said...

Hilarious! I like the doggies! I'm still trying to figure out what all the people in front are doing though!

Rowenna said...

Jillian--thanks, Merry Christmas to you, too!

Connie--that's awesome! Definitely make it, was super tasty!

Dreamstress--I know, I love the pups! A lot of eighteenth-century prints have dogs in the foreground--purportedly to increase realism? And I have no idea what those two on the right are doing--is she scratching his head?!?