Sunday, November 7, 2010

Armistice Day

I decided to do something a touch unusual this week--I'm not going to post, but rather leave this reminder in honor of Veteran's Day. Originally christened Armistice Day for the armistice that ended what many hoped was the war to end all wars on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, Veteran's Day is often, I find, a date traipsed over without much notice. Wars are controversial, ugly, political affairs, but the men and women who serve are honorable, courageous, and without artifice.

Please remember those who have served, those currently serving, and those who have died in the service of your country on November 11. I will be wearing a poppy, in what I hope is quiet appreciation and a continued prayer that war might be ended for good (though, apparently, the United States now says poppies are to be worn in memory of the fallen on Memorial Day. I say rubbish to that--but of course I also still persist in calling November 11th Armistice Day, too--so perhaps I am too old-fashioned). Please consider wearing one along with me.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

6 comments:

dolleygurl said...

I work with veterans on a daily basis - I work for the VA - and it has hit me recently just how much they have all really went through to support our country and what we have. To see all of these injuries and illnesses brought about by serving in our wars is so sad and I try so hard to make their lives better on a daily basis. Without them, we wouldn't be here. Thanks for the tidbit about Armistice Day - I didn't know that.

Miss Rosemary said...

Lovely post and something that really should be remembered

vrchristensen said...

I call it Armistice Day, too. I realize that to most Americans, WWII is the greater, more significant war. We were the heroes, after all. But when you consider the lost and fallen of WWI, all the men who didn't return, and that WWII never would have happened were it not for the fact that WWI did not end, just ceased to be fought, an armistice. No winners. Too many losers. It's all so tragic.

I'll wear a poppy too. For Armistice day.

Hema P. said...

Such heart-piercing words -- thanks for sharing them and also for the reminder, Rowenna! It's so easy to forget about all the numerous sacrifices, when we're enjoying the peace they've earned us.

Megs said...

A beautiful post, thank you
(even if I am now sniffling a little)

Rowenna said...

Thanks for all your insight and support!