Saturday, October 23, 2010

The 1930s Peacock Gown Steps Out

Last night the 1930s Peacock Gown made its debut. My husband is a relatively newly-minted naval officer, and the Navy celebrates its birthday each October with a ball. (History fact of the day: The US Navy is considered to have been "born" in 1775 after an act of the Continental Congress, which realized that, er, if it was going to fight the greatest navy in the world--Britain--it was going to need some boats.) So we got cleaned up and went to the Birthday Ball this year to celebrate the Navy's 235th.

We spent the afternoon and evening at a turn-of-the-century resort town in southern Indiana (previously written about after a visit this summer.)

A few photos, for kicks!

The lobby of the West Baden hotel, with mini-dome. The actual dome, which covers a huge interior atrium, was closed off for another event.

That's me, chilling in the library on a corner chair before getting dressed.


We spent some time wandering around the gardens. I love the Greco-Roman inspired architecture:

And the fountains, and the pared-down beauty of autumn mums replacing summer flowers:


The resorts are surrounded by national forest property; you can see the idyllic woodsyness in the background. While wandering up the hill, we spotted a doe and this year's fawn, now nearly grown.
Then--on to the ball! We took photos after the evening of dinner and dancing, so I was a little tired--the gown in repose:
Overlooking the main lobby at French Lick:


A pensive peacock:


He dresses up ok, I think :)



Thanks for staying with me on the adventures of this gown! I'm already plotting next year's historically-inspired piece.

14 comments:

Katy F. said...

That turned out really great, and you look gorgeous! Thanks for sharing pics! What a cool location for the ball! :)

Atlanta said...

Looks like a wonderful evening! Beautiful gown and beautiful location!

Connie said...

The dress is gorgeous. The two of you made such a handsome couple.

Miss Moppet said...

Rowenna, what a gorgeous gown! And you had the perfect setting to wear it. I've had ballgowns made for me in the past but I would never be able to make my own - you are very talented!

Isis said...

Seems like a lovely evening at a lovely place. You look wonderful! Gorgeous gown on a beautiful lady!

Isis said...

I hope Rowenna don't mind me saying that I love your name, Miss Moppet! One of my favourite Beatrix Potter. My bestest cat was named Mips Moppet in honour of that story. :)

Megs said...

You, your husband and the venue all look amazing. And thank you for the History Fact Of The Day, that counts as my 'learned something' for today! :)

Rowenna said...

Thanks Ladies! We had a really great time and I feel so lucky to have gotten to go "play" at French Lick!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous dress!

Ax said...

Great pics and great dress!!!

Sharmon said...

Just now saw the pics and they are awesome. Loved the dress and the place--oo-la-la. Must have been a memorable night.
Left a comment on the preliminary dress debut, but apparently it didn't "take". Just wanted you to know you get two thumbs up on the Peacock Gown :-). Your innovations made it coutoure!

Caroline said...

Gorgeous dress! You're so lucky to have fun events like that to go to.

mesmered said...

Absolutely beautiful result Rowenna, congratulations. Vast difference from cooking around a campaign fire!

GentlewomanThief said...

WOW - you look fabulous! This gown is divine. Bravo!

(Sorry, I know it's v late, but I've been AWOL!) x