Sunday, September 19, 2010

Just for Fun Q&A

Mesmered tagged me in a fun Q&A, and, given that it's Sunday, I'm the midst of studying for the GRE and doing loads of reading, and have a ton of laundry to do to boot, I figured it would be a fun distraction.

I also have to admit--I love questions like this. Funny, because I work with a student group on campus and helped them with their annual campout on Friday night. First off, I needed--really, desperately needed--to be out in the woods for awhile. Second--how did I manage to get stung by a yellow jacket within fifteen minutes of getting there? And third, prime--one of the students brought a book of questions, some of which were very similar to these. It was fun to see how people answered--and how my answers are probably changing and evolving in the five years or so that separate me in age from the undergrads I was with.

1. If you could have any superpower, what would you have? Why?

I know which one I wouldn't want--invisibility. I can never understand why a person would want to be a fly on the wall. I wouldn't--I know I'd hear something either hurtful or dangerous, and I'd really rather not know. Ignorance, in this case, is bliss. After reading, perhaps, too many fairy tales and fantasy books in my youth, I would love to be able to transform into an animal. It would be a blast to be a squirrel...or a seal...or a falcon. And I'm sure it would come in handy once in a while, too. Might even be able to help someone...but mostly would be fun to scale a tree with my squirrely claws or turn backflips in the water.

2. Who is your style icon?

This would indicate that I have some sort of style. Ha! No, I like clothes, but I don't set out to master any one sense of style. I would describe my style as one part ladylike classic, one part comfortable, and a dash of rustic romance. Kind of like Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth in The Queen. Yes, I wanted most of that wardrobe even if she was more than twice my age.

My eighteenth-century style icon is Georgianna, Duchess of Devonshire. Not because, mind you, I would be imitating her--no, I see myself as the Duchess of Philadelphia (my eighteenth century persona's hometown) in my reenacting clothes. Fashion-forward and a little fearless. No ostrich plumes in the hair yet, though. The City of Brotherly Love can imitate me.

3. What is your favorite quote?

I'll break this one into three categories, because I have too many favorite quotes:

History: Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted--George Rogers Clark. This was Clark's summing up of how 200 men took the Northwest Territory for the United States during the American Revolution. It inspires a certain courageous patriotism in me--that even the greatest challenges, with duty and good conduct, can be overcome.

Writing: If you want a happy ending, that all depends on where you stop the story--attributed to Oscar Wilde. So true--I always think of a story, whether it's a short story or a tome of a novel, as a snapshot, a polished off piece of a life. It can be comedic or tragic depending on what slice is taken and how it's presented.

4. What is the best compliment you’ve ever received?

I don't tend to file these away...but I suppose I shall pick a terribly shallow one. When I was in high school, a rather romantically inclined young man of my acquantiance declared that a woman's eyes were the most important feature he looked for. And he really did date only women with beautiful eyes. And the two of us dated briefly before college. So I've thought of my eyes as my best feature ever since.

5. What playlist/cd is in your CD player/iPod right now?

Literally--nothing at the moment. Figuratively--I have a steady rotation of Django Reinhardt (great for housecleaning and cooking), Loreena McKennitt (great for reflective moments), Thomas Tallis and Eric Satie (great for editing) and Fleet Foxes and Jethro Tull (don't laugh! great for car trips).

6. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

Neither, really--I don't like getting up early, and I seldom stay up late. But I will say this--when I'm awake, I'm awake. I'm not a groggy, grumpy bear type in the morning. And once I am up early, I'm happy I am--sunrises and early morning mist is beautiful. And if I'm up late carousing with friends I'm happy to stay up until the wee hours. To connect to writing--some people having a writingly time of day, but I don't--I can get up and go straight to it, can come to it in the middle of the day, or can stay up past my bedtime with it.

7. Do you prefer dogs or cats?

I have three cats, but this is more for necessity's sake than preference--I'm gone a lot and have a small townhouse, so the high-energy kinds of dogs I love would be terribly unhappy with me. I've recently found that I adore Italian Greyhounds, and am thinking about getting a rescue someday as they would be more amenable to my style than, say, huskies or cattle dogs. But I do love my three cats--they're all very lovable and very stupid.

8. What is the meaning behind your blog name?

Hyaline means clear, like crystal, and prosaic means either ordinary or in the style of writing known as prose. So--clear ordinary, crystal prose. It's just for fun, really. And because I happen to love the word hyaline and it's not used nearly enough.

Consider yourself tagged if you enjoy answering questions for a bit of fun :)

3 comments:

mesmered said...

I love the way you reponded and how you turned it so beautifully to your writing and your hist.fict interests. Thanks for taking it on.

It's funny, I love those questionnaires too as it sometimes pinpoints something you didn't even know about yourself. Did you see the writing meme? Have a go at that one.

Cheers.

Miss Rosemary said...

I LOVE the Oscar Wilde quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rowenna said...

Thanks to both of you for popping by :) I think I will take a stab at the writing Q&A, M!