Thursday, September 30, 2010

An Important PSA from WWII

I realized I have a ton of gems from researching December. So, for the next few weeks, until you're tired of it or I am, I'll be spicing up the blog with 1940s/World War II tidbits.

Like this one. It's been a favorite of mine since I first stumbled across it years ago--and it found its way into a conversation in December that one of my dear beta readers said had her laughing out loud.



Well, there is that, isn't there

Once we're done laughing...VD was a legitimate problem for the Armed Forces during WWII--and pretty much during every war prior to that, too. But WWII saw an aggressive campaign against the spread of venereal disease, first by trying to convince the fighting forces not to fraternize with the locals, and when that proved, unsurprisingly, futile, providing other preventative measures via prophylactic stations.

It's perhaps not surprising that the messages aimed at men put the blame on women--notice that the poster essentially says "women spread VD" which is, we all know, only half the truth. Another pamphlet from the time puts it even more bluntly, ironically after stating that "sex is important--it's what makes you a man." A bit of a catch-22--how to be a man when those dirty women will give you VD?

5 comments:

Audra said...

I love WWII propaganda posters -- we're decorating our bathroom with a few of these VD ones!

dolleygurl said...

Oh that is great! Love it! I love reading advertisements and such from the 1930's - 1950's. They are so classy!

Marg said...

Love the tag line - You can't beat the access if you catch VD.

There are any number of places that could take you in a conversation!

Rowenna said...

Audra--awesome idea! I'm currently hunting for the perfect 50s scifi poster for the upstairs landing...

Dolley--I know, some of these crack me up! Especially ads for products we don't need anymore...like scalp odor. Ew.

Marg--you don't know how many times I've greeted a friend with that phrase. Just for kicks :)

PS my word verification today was forker. I find that really, really amusing.

Jillian said...

That's awesome! :D