Saturday, August 7, 2010

An Ode to Peacock Blue

The Peacock Blue Gown is coming along with better-than-expected progress. First, gratuitous fabric shot:

I seem to have a peacock feather on hand...now, what to do with that, I wonder? Thoughts, dear readers, on the incorporation of a real peacock feather into the final presentation? Perhaps on the gown somewhere, or as a hair ornament, or woven into a handbag...hmmm....

In the meantime, peacock blue seems to have infiltrated other purchasing decisions...



A shirt I bought my husband, and a purse I bought myself to replace my six-year-old bag whose handles were disintegrating. I'm sure the color choices were mere coincidence...

Finally, a quick note on progress. What I wanted to accomplish with the muslin is complete--none of the concerns I had about construction or fit came to any fruition. The fit is perfect as is (complete shock, I had expected tons of tweaking) and the lap-seamed construction I had harbored secret dread of is far easier--and prettier--than I had anticipated.

The muslin is made of the only scrap fabric I had on hand, a kooky dot that I had purchased to make my mother an apron. I only made it hip-length as I knew ths skirt of the gown wouldn't pose a problem.


But now that it's done, I rather like it--so I've cut binding pieces and straps from a contrasting fabric and plan to finish this as a kicky tunic tank top.

Remember to enter in the Shift/Shirt Giveaway--only today and tomorrow left to enter!

Tomorrow, another musing on peacock blue and the strange coincidences between it and my writing...

7 comments:

Marg said...

That fabric is such a gorgeous colour.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Love the peacock blue. the first 'dress' I was body painted in was a peacoc dress, still my favourite paint ever :)

sharmon2629@att.net said...

I have a bouquet of peacock feathers tucked behind the frame of a full length mirror in my bedroom--the decor and colors change frequently but the feathers are a permanent fixture! MUST find a way to work the feather into the outfit or hair. It's funny that you mention the color and your writing. When I needed a color that would accurately portray an important character (but who would never be "on stage"), I chose peacock blue. "The only color vivid and intense enough to suit what I knew of her personality."--from my WIP.
Thumbs up on the cute top.

Lua said...

Oh that fabric is gorgeous Rowenna! I love that shade of blue, and it’ll look so good with the Peacock feathers :)

Miss Rosemary said...

What beatutiful fabric! No wonder the color is infiltrating all other thoughts in you life!

Isis' Wardrobe said...

Gorgeous!

Rowenna said...

Thanks, ladies! Sharmon--I know what you mean. That color is distinctive enough to say something all by itself, isn't it?