Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Arrival of the Silk Charmeuse...

...and there was much rejoicing.


The silk came, and it's absolutely perfect for the project I have in mind for it. Those of you who guessed, quite brilliantly, that I was aiming for the Perfect Peacock Blue Sacque? You are very observant readers, and even more intuitive guessers, but alas--no, this is not the Peacock Blue Sacque project. I'm afraid the charmeuse is just a touch thin to stand up to the pleats of the eighteenth-century gown. I may experiment with the scraps to see if flat-lining would be an option, because the color is astounding--even better in person than in this photograph (slightly darker, a touch less green).

But for now, rather than an eighteenth-century Peacock Gown, I'm aiming for a 1930s Peacock Gown.

I even (gasp!) have an excuse--my husband is a Naval Reserve officer, and the annual Navy Birthday Ball is in October. Finding something last year was a fail of epic proportions (and we thankfully had last-minute time conflicts, or else I would have been stuck wearing a garbage bag or something). So this year, I'm being proactive and making my own gown.

The pattern I'm basing the gown on is a Vintage Vogue pattern, a 1937 design (#V2859).
Before I can touch the silk, though, I'll be tucking into some scrap fabric to make a muslin or two . I'm, er, bustier than the ideal 1930s silhouette, so I need to see how the pattern will favor my curves--or not. And I want to finagle the straps a bit, possibly doing a crossed back (as I plan to dance the heck out of this dress).
Stick with me--this one's going to be fun!
And don't forget to enter Ye Olde Shifte or Shirte Giveawaye (man, adding e's to things really gets that old-timey feel going, doesn't it?).

10 comments:

Brownpaperbaggirl said...

Oh my, Rowenna! That dress is going to be absolutely stunning, I'd imagine. Beautiful!

dolleygurl said...

I so wish I had somewhere to go and wear pretty things - I have a couple really pretty dresses and nowhere to go...

Kat Zhang said...

:O :O This is gorgeous, Rowenna! I can't WAIT to see the finished project!

Rowenna said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm excited to make this one, my first quasi-modern project in a while.

Dolley, maybe we need to invent some events for you :)

Nicole MacDonald said...

WOW! So gorgeous! I've awarded you on my blog - pop on over to collect :)

Rowenna said...

Thanks Nicole!

Hema P. said...

You can sew an elaborate gown from a roll of fabric? How cool! You should definitely post a picture once you're done!

GentlewomanThief said...

Oooh, not 18th century, but still utterly fabulous!!! This is going to look gorgeous - I can't wait to see it :)

sharmon2629@att.net said...

Lovely! Can't wait for the pics. You must have the patience of a saint to work w/ that slippery fabric. Love the art-deco look of the pattern, too. Another favorite era :-).

Miss Rosemary said...

Oooh, I bet it will be stunning! I expect frequent photos of the process!