Friday, July 30, 2010

Things I Just Learned

Road trips and weddings...both opportunities for great personal reflection and growth. And an excuse to eat Hostess Cupcakes. Some things I discovered:

1) I can do my own hair without the help of false-rump hairdresser! I did have the help of a fellow bridesmaid with a jumbo can of AquaNet, though. Because this was super-easy and looked relatively professional, thought I would share the directions, in case you find yourself in the same boat.

2) Purple pens + car ride + half-edited manuscript = illegible scrawlings and woozy tummy. Balance that equation. Needless to say, I didn't get a whole lot done work-wise. But we're almost there on the edit, and am finding a few more tweaks I need to make. I think (gulp) the end is in sight; the problems now are little blips compared to gaping holes. Because my last unrealistic goal went reasonably well, I'm setting another one for this weekend: Finish the purple-pen edit. Retire purple pen. Start making changes in the document and choose a new color of pen for next round. Use super-reader-radar to find plot blips and eliminate them.

3) I love Patrick O'Brian! See yesterday's post for more gushing.

4) I found this Onion article hilarious...in large part because this title mimics so perfectly eighteenth-century conventions: On The Humourous Happenings That May Occur During Coital Relations, To Which Is Added Several Jests Regarding Defecation

5) Hostess Cupcakes are completely inferior to Mrs. Freshley's Cupcakes. I don't want to know what's in those things, but they were pure magic sometime around 11:45 p.m. eaten on the road in the middle of a miscellaneous midwestern cornfield.

2 comments:

Carrie C said...

Good luck with the edit! And I like the hairstyle suggestion. Very pretty.

Rowenna said...

Thanks :) None of the pics of my hair have come out yet--but it was neat and easy, which was my #1 priority!