Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Documentary Fame

So one of the fun parts about the Independence Day weekend is the American Revolution documentary marathons on the History and/or Discovery channels. Yep, I'm a geek. But my husband and I zoned out for awhile on Saturday afternoon and watched a little bit, just for fun. (We also like to make fun of the bad costuming in some, but they're really getting a lot better than they used to be, so it's less exciting now.)

So we're watching about the Siege of Charleston, which I researched to a nearly unhealthy degree for the first novel I wrote (currently drawer-ed, but ideas fermenting about a vast rewrite...), nitpicking that they left out "the best part" (how the American forces in the city made one last effort, more symbolic than anything, before surrendering, firing a huge cannon barrage as all the bells in Charleston pealed together--how's that for great TV?), when my husband looks intently at the TV and says:

"Hey, we know that guy!"

And we did know that guy. One of the bonuses/perils of being a reenactor is that our groups often either get tapped to film documentaries, or stock footage of reenactments is used to fill in generic scenes. So if you're watching a documentary on the time period you reenact, you're likely to start seeing people you know--or even yourself.

So have I ever been in a documentary? None for the History Channel that I know of--but I've been at enough events where they were filming that it's possible I'm in a background somewhere. But our group was hired by another group--the Weather Channel. We did the episode of "When Weather Changed History" about the Revolution. You won't recognize me in any of the scenes--because I'm not there. My musket-toting, regimental-wearing alter-ego Obediah is. We didn't need women for the shoot, but to fill in the ranks, a few of us ladies dressed as men. (Sound familiar?). And I have to admit, it was pretty fun to watch the final product--friends of ours played main roles, including George Washington and Henry Knox. And I saw myself, a couple times--marching through the "rain" (ie water hose spraying across the road) and fighting the Battle of Trenton and Princeton in the "snow" (foamy, sudsy stuff that they sprayed on the ground in a big patch--it clung to your shoes and clothes like crazy!).

So Obediah was viewed coast-to-coast, and I was nowhere to be seen. Any brushes with fame you'd like to share?

6 comments:

disgruntledwriterscircle said...

Haha! That's awesome! You'll have to let us know if you ever are taped. :)

missbluestocking said...

I will now always be watching out for your when I watch history docs...

hmmm my brush with fame would be when I graduated from my writer's craft class at highschool. My teacher enjoyed my writing well enough that for many of the future assignments given to the next generation of students, she used my assignment as an example. So when I attended the school's writer's festival a few years later--most of the students knew me. It was kind of embarrassing though.

dolleygurl said...

Oh that is so cool! I don't think that I have been in anything awesome.

Connie said...

No brushes with fame for me. But hope springs eternal. :)

That Pesky GentlewomanThief said...

Ooh, cool - go go Obediah!

Corra McFeydon said...

You live such an awesome life!! I want to march through battlefields and brush in a heavy costume! (Okay, that sounds like a bad thing, but I'm so serious.)

One of these days...

:)

- Corra

The Victorian Heroine