Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day


About this picutre: Reenacting is a family hobby...and it's been my way of staying connected with my dad for years. Too bad I don't have the pic of us in matching regimental coats, but this will have to do, in tribute to the best father in the eighteenth century. He taught me to:
Find a deer trail
Enjoy Scotch
Build a fire
Cook an egg over-easy, on aforementioned fire if preferred
Sew
Snowshoe
Cross-country ski (less effectively than the snowshoeing)
Say a few choice phrases in German
Never, ever give up
Simply be, quietly
Ride a bike (see effectiveness of cross-country skiing)
Amputate an arm, eighteenth-century style (in theory)
Find wild plants to alleviate poison ivy, bug bites, nettles (in practice)
Fish, and how to clean and cook the fish you catch
How to live with the eyes of a poet and the grit of a homesteader
Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there...what you teach means more than you know.

2 comments:

Lua said...

What a lovely tribute to your father Rowenna! My father is my inspiration as well… :)

Corra McFeydon said...

This is such a beautiful post. I love the photo. :-)

- Corra

The Victorian Heroine