Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Spring Stroll

While at Locust Grove this weekend, a friend and I slipped away from the kitchen to take a stroll through the old plantations rolling hills and woodland paths. We found: violets growing in the shade along the treeline, fallen trees to traipse over, and fresh leaves on the willow trees. A few of our choicer moments:


Dear Friend about to discover a redbud still in bloom along the trail

Leaving the woods and discovering a hidden path to the creek.

Fording the stream.

Dear Friend takes a moment to adjust her hat on the steps of the spring house.

I enjoy the view from the window of the spring house.
I promise, I did not intend the pun of "spring stroll" meaning both the season and our destination (the spring house of the plantation). But it works out rather well, doesn't it?
Have you gotten out of doors to enjoy spring? Gowns and petticoats not required :)
Requisite Reminder: Bookshelves still leaky. Enter Giveaway for Historical Fiction, delivered to your doorstep!

11 comments:

missbluestocking said...

AHHHH I ENVY YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I nearly swooned out of my seat. The photos are so lovely. All the trees are so full and green....

Rowenna said...

June--They are so green! The landscape is just vibrant, isn't it? My friend (the other lass in the photos) popped into my office this morning just to comment how green all the pictures were :)

Connie said...

The photos are beautiful. I'm trying very hard not to be jealous.

gentlewomanthief said...

Oh lovely - all that green looks so lush! I do miss that living in the city - very jealous!

And yay for violets - funnily enough, this weekend my Mum sent me photos of the violets she's got growing between the paving stones in her garden.

Rowenna said...

Thanks Connie! And Thief--violets never cease to make me happy. I don't think you can see in any of these pictures, but I picked a few and tucked them into the front closure of my gown :)

Kat Zhang said...

Wow! What a gorgeous dress! And beautiful greenery! I thought the first photo was a painting at first...

Kathleen Wall said...

I agree with Kat Zhang. While your photos were loading, I thought they were paintings! Beautiful!

Lua said...

Rowenna, those are amazing pictures! You made me want to wear my longest dress, put a hat one and find a meadow to stroll :) Pups and I take a short walk everyday, redbuds are our favorite! I love looking at them, they love trying to eat them :)

Rowenna said...

Kat and Kathleen--thanks! They do look rather painterly :)

Lua--your dogs are onto something--apparently redbuds are edible! Friend of mine told me and I tried a couple blossoms :) They taste like arugula with honey when they're at their peak.

Ax said...

Ooooo! Pretty, pretty pictures! (Working with cows has dramatically decreased my vocabulary :P)

Juddie said...

Gorgeous! The scenery looks so beautiful I could swoon! And you both look absolutely lovely too :-)