Thursday, July 24, 2008

Honey Mustard Chicken Wild Rice Salad

I bought a dress tonight. It was frivolous and femininely froth-headed to do so, but I'm allowed once in a while to be frivolous and feminine. The dress is emerald-green silk. I don't know where I'll wear it. There's perhaps nothing in the world so indulgent as a dress without an occasion. An occasion will come, a wedding or cocktail party, and then the dress will get worn and will loose some of its mystique. I will either become tired of it or it will tire of me. For now it's simply a beguiling, somwhat guilty, extravagance.

Tomorrow is monthly Wine Friday at work. I consider myself lucky to work somewhere that takes itself unseriously enough to mandate a monthly Wine Friday. Sometimes it's Margarita Monday, and, once, Tequila Tuesday. (Tequila Tuesday was an extreme situation and we were all under quite a bit of stress.) Generally, it's Wine Friday and is accompanied by a pitch-in lunch, for which I've made an encore presentation of Honey Mustard Chicken Wild Rice Salad. Honey Mustard Chicken Wild Rice Salad really needs a new name, because it's too much of a mouthful, but my co-worker's label of "That Chicken Stuff" doesn't suit it very well, either.
Honey Mustard Chicken Wild Rice Salad (until a better name comes along)
Cook one decent-sized chicken breast completely. I simmer it in a pan with sauteed garlic, chicken broth, and little orange juice. Shred {ie attack with two forks until in shreds). Prepare Long Grain and Wild Rice (I used Rice-a-Roni; the San Francisco Treat is pretty convenient). Mix rice and chicken, and add a can of mandarin oranges, half a red onion, chopped, and a handful of dried cranberries. Douse with honey mustard dressing (Marzetto's Honey Dijon is a nice one).

No comments: